Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: How to stop Admins from sniffing ?

From: "Harrison Holland" <harrisonholland () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2006 12:33:00 -0400

You can certainly encrypt all of the communication from your computer
to the internet.  Look into a program called Tor, which uses VPN
technology and onion routing to anonymize your network activity.
However, it will also make your browsing extremely slow.  Another good
solution would be to set up a VPN on your home computer, and connect
to it from your work computer, careful to set the VPN address as your
default gateway, so all of your traffic is routed through your home
computer and then out to the internet.

You can also look into crypto programs for individual tasks.  For
example, using PGP or GPG for email, and "off-the-record" messaing
plugin for Gaim chat.

Unfortunately for your situation, the administrator has the most
control over the network.  So he can control what comes in and out of
the gateway.  And he can chose to block the ports that Tor uses, etc.
He can also read logs on the firewall to find out where you are going,
rather than using ethereal.  If he is reading emails or instant
messanger conversations than he may be breaking the law.  If he is
monitoring the sites you are viewing, then most likely he is well
within his rights as an administrator.

Harrison

On 26 Jul 2006 05:13:47 -0000, swap_tek () yahoo co uk