Security Basics mailing list archives

Snort as Firewall (WinXP)

From: Neil <neil () voidfx net>
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2006 07:56:12 +0530

Has anyone here ever tried using Snort as a firewall, particularly on a
Windows box?  I was toying around with the idea of using it as a
firewall for my laptop (not an enterprise).

From what I've read, a couple people have tried, but most people were of
the opinion to use Snort as an IDS, and have a separate firewall.

If anyone has done it, do you recommend it? Why/why not?
For those who are against using it as a firewall, again, why?

Thanks for the input.
--
Neil.
http://voidfx.net

EARN A MASTER OF SCIENCE IN INFORMATION ASSURANCE - ONLINE
The Norwich University program offers unparalleled Infosec management
education and the case study affords you unmatched consulting experience.
Tailor your education to your own professional goals with degree
customizations including Emergency Management, Business Continuity Planning,
Computer Emergency Response Teams, and Digital Investigations.

http://www.msia.norwich.edu/secfocus