Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Snort as Firewall (WinXP)

From: Kenton Smith <listsks () yahoo ca>
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 16:05:31 -0500 (EST)

Well I'm certainly of the opinion that Snort is an
IDS, particularly on a Windows machine. My
understanding of anykind of "firewalling" that can be
done with Snort has to be done using
IPTables/Netfilter. Without knowing your reasoning, I
think you're setting yourself up for much poorer
security by choosing to use a product that isn't a
firewall when there are perfectly good firewall
products available.

Kenton