Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: About War Driving ..

From: FatalSaint <admin () linuxniche com>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2006 17:18:21 -0700

Just a couple.. I'm kind of a noob here but:

1) Use WPA/TKIP instead of WEP.  Harder to crack (though not impossible)
2) Disable DHCP if you have it running or
2a) Enable static DHCP for the MAC Addresses of the authorized PC's
3) MAC Address Filter your router
4) Disable SSID Broadcast (easily got around by anyone with kismet.. but
still an added layer)
5) If your router has the capability; explicitly allow only the IP's for
the machine's you assign to get out to the internet.
6) Disable the torrent ports at the firewall .. I am not sure what they
are or if torrent will get around them by using port 80 instead.  (in
actuallity, in a business environment I'd disable -all- outgoing ports
except 80 and 443 - if someone needs specific access have your net-admin
explicitly allow their machine out.)
7) You could get as detailed as static routing and limiting the amount of
bandwidth each machine/IP could use.

Log MAC Addresses.  If he's smart enough to crack your wep then he's
prolly spoofing MAC's.. but you could always go into your logs, see
which MAC is associated with that IP - and then go to all the machines
in your building that you can control and check the MAC Addresses -
might tell you which machine is doing it.

Some more advanced things could be to install a proxy server; require the
use of login's to get to the internet - then you can track by login.
Or even installing a transparent proxy and logging all
websites/communication out to the internet (this could cause a very
large logfile.)

I don't know your network infrastructure so these are just random
thoughts on what you -could- do if you're buisness plan allows.