Security Basics mailing list archives

list moderation (was Re: About War Driving.)

From: Kelly Martin <kel () securityfocus com>
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2006 16:54:13 -0500

This appears to be a comment on list moderation so I'll address it here.

Steven wrote:
Hi Gaurav,

I am surprised to see so many answers that were identical or duplicates
were allowed to pass through to this list.  I think we've seen from the
nearly 30+ posts that WEP is terrible, WPA is better, and WPA2 + the right
implementation is wonderful.

In fact I also rejected at least that many posts, requiring me to type out or clip a response to each person about why the post was rejected. After the first three or four replies that say the same thing, I only approve subsequent messages when they offer at least *some* additional commentary or thoughts, speculation or insight - even if they all mention WPA2 along with a little tidbit of something else.

Most people use threaded mail readers like GMail, so they need not read all the replies to a thread unless they want to. Also, this list is not Bugtraq, and thus it can be helpful to read a consensus about an issue. I think this is more useful than a single correct reply with a hundred other responses all rejected by me.

Moderation policy hasn't changed much since I took over this list 3.5 years ago.

I think you might have known this
beforehand.

Yes but this is Security-BASICS and one cannot make assumptions on behalf of the poster.

> However, 1 million replies about WEP being bad doesn't really
answer your core question -- which was whether or not you can locate the
person.

As moderator I cannot edit messages to improve their contents, I approve them if they meet the guidelines and offer at least a shred of something new. Related does not mean off-topic. Quite a few obviously wrong replies such suggestions about enabling MAC filtering were rejected before they hit the list. Dozens more that only mentioned WEP weaknesses were also rejected. If the poster was unsure, I may have approved the post to allow others in the community to correct him.

If you've ever tried to triangulate a WiFi attacker you know that a defense-in-depth strategy where you *also* improve your defenses is the best approach. Sniffing for unencrypted traffic and DNS lookups made by the attacker is useful, as is reducing power output to the antennas, using WPA2, allowing only VPN traffic, monitoring the DHCP daemon, changing keys frequently with a RADIUS server or similar, setting up high and low interaction WiFi honeypots, outbound filtering on the WiFi network's firewall, faraday cage-like "WiFi wallpaper" and of course many more options. If it were my personal network I'd also pen-test the attacker, but would not recommend this to others esp in a corporate setting.

Finding the attacker is not the only option - and may not even be possible if he uses a high gain directional antenna from far away.

I too find it a bit taxing when there are a thousand similar replies on a subject, as they all hit the moderation queue along with all the spam that gets rejected by me. It's a balance between useful information, consensus, and the amount of time it takes me to moderate a busy list such as this.

Regards,

moderator