Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Bandwidth monitor/management

From: "David Gillett" <gillettdavid () fhda edu>
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2006 11:44:59 -0700

  The usual thing is to point it at a router or switch to read the
SNMP stats.

  Switches and routers "see" all network traffic much more clearly
than any single workstation, but they don't generally have nice
user interfaces for monitoring.

  You can monitor traffic in much more detail with a sniffer, but
you'll probably have to do some switch configuration to make sure
that the traffic you're interested in is available to your sniffer
host (and this can impact performance).  Most sniffers are good
for detail, but won't give you the high-level overview that you'd
like to see to tell you where to sniff.

David Gillett