Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Bandwidth monitor/management

From: "Paul Halliday" <paul.halliday () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2006 21:10:29 -0300

You might want to look into using NetFlow. You can export flows from a
router or mimic the flow records with an instance of something like
fprobe running on a UNIX machine:

http://fprobe.sourceforge.net/

The later is typically connected to a TAP or span port.

You can then use flow-tools to extract the data you need:

http://www.splintered.net/sw/flow-tools/

There is also a nice package that webifies the process (has graphs too):

http://ensight.eos.nasa.gov/FlowViewer/

It is trivial to maintain years of data NetFlow.