Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Deploying SSL-based VPNs

From: "Beauford, Jason" <jbeauford () EightInOnePet com>
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2006 14:42:50 -0400

Not true.  SSL-VPN's can deliver content via a web browser w/o the
installation of any client software (other than web browser).  The
problem here is that we need to identify what it means to deliver
content.  In the case of a pure SSL-VPN via Web browser, I mean it can
give a directory listing via published share directories on the internal
lan.  All of the rewriting is done by the appliance / software on the
backend.  It pushes the data through the web browser.

For things like Remote Desktop or IPSEC clients via SSL-VPN, then you're
correct as you'll need to install an active-x or java client of some
sorts.

JMB