Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Why attacker install irc after hacking?

From: xun dong <xundong () cs york ac uk>
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 11:57:34 +0100

IRC is mainly served as the Command and Control(C&C) Tool after hacking.
For example the hacker can send the command such as starting keylogger
or initiate a email spam via the irc communication channel.

A large number of botnets also use the irc as the communication channels
as well. So if you see the irc installed after hacking, it is very
likely your PC is part of a botnet.

I think another reason IRC is choosen is because it is widely used, and
the hacker is very familiar with it already.

Monty Ree wrote:
Hello, all.

I have operated linux server for a long time.
and I have found that some irc(psybnc etc) related program was installed
after scan or hacking.

I can't understand Why attackers installed and executed irc program?
Why attackers use irc after hacking?
Just chatting is not...I guess..

Thanks in advance.

Don't leave your confidential company and customer records un-protected.
Try Webroot's Spy Sweeper Enterprise(TM) for 30 days for FREE with no
obligation. See why so many companies trust Spy Sweeper Enterprise to
eradicate spyware from their networks.
FREE 30-Day Trial of Spy Sweeper Enterprise

http://www.webroot.com/forms/enterprise_lead.php