Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Why attacker install irc after hacking?

From: Brian Beck <beckbria () msu edu>
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 15:52:46 -0400

Monty Ree wrote:

Hello, all.

I have operated linux server for a long time.
and I have found that some irc(psybnc etc) related program was
installed after scan or hacking.

I can't understand Why attackers installed and executed irc program?
Why attackers use irc after hacking?
Just chatting is not...I guess..

Thanks in advance.

IRC is commonly used by attackers for controlling Networks of
comprimized computers ("Botnets"). It allows the machines to report
information back to (and be controlled by) a central authority.