Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Why attacker install irc after hacking?

From: Philippe De Ryck <philippe.de.ryck () skynet be>
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 21:55:07 +0200

On Thu, 2006-04-20 at 04:55 +0000, Monty Ree wrote:
Hello, all.

I have operated linux server for a long time.
and I have found that some irc(psybnc etc) related program was installed
after scan or hacking.

I can't understand
Why attackers installed and executed irc program?
Why attackers use irc after hacking?
Just chatting is not...I guess..

Hi,

I suppose that the set up an IRC server where clients can connect to.
Only, these clients are probably not regular clients but malware on
infected PC's. This way, the cracker can control the zombies and create
a botnet for instance. The zombies receive their commands via IRC, so a
simple line on the IRC channel can launch an attack.

Don't know if there are other reasons to setup IRC ...

Philippe De Ryck