Security Basics mailing list archives

Windows Vista current flaws

From: "Jon Lawhead" <samurai () berkeley edu>
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2005 21:00:52 -0700

Greetings all,

I work in Network Security for UC Berkeley's residence halls. We have a list of several "minimum security standards" that we require all connected computers to meet before being allowed access to the network (stuff like having a firewall program, antivirus, etc). One of the standards involves having the latest patched version of a secure operating system. I have a user on the network who wishes to run a (legitimately acquired, or so he says) version of Windows Vista beta version. Before I decide on this, I wanted opinions on whether or not this is a good idea. My first instinct is to disallow any beta operating systems simply on the grounds that they'll be buggy by definition and may potentially have serious security flaws, but I can't find anything to back this up. Just wondering if I could get a few opinions on whether or not this is a good idea. Thanks!

Jon Lawhead
Network Security Coordinator
Residential Computing
University of California, Berkeley