Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Windows Vista current flaws

From: "Burton Strauss" <Burton () FelisCatus org>
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 06:47:56 -0500

You clearly are not protecting against one of your students running attack
programs, network scans, etc. - since they own the computer they obviously
have root access.  So, what is it that you are 'protecting' against anyway?

Are you trying to protect the unsophisticated computer user from being
attacked and exploited?  If so, your minimum standards probably do hit that
target.

But this is NOT an unsophisticated user.  And if s/he wants to run beta
software, then why do you care.  Perhaps purely for informational purposes?
If so, you can easily add a notification clause to the network access
agreement.  You've already got something like this, right?

"Student agrees that any operating system software run on any host connected
to our network will be legally acquired.  For protection of yourself and
other students we require you to obtain and apply all security patches for
your operating system."

"We actively monitor the network and will - without notification - disable
your network port or suspend your network access if we observe any hostile
or unusual activity origination from your computers."

So add:

"In the event student chooses to run beta or other pre-release software,
s/he will notify network services via email of the nature and version of
such operating system software at least 24 hours prior to installation.
Student assumes all risks for using any (not just operating system) beta or
pre-release software, and we do not provide any support for such beta or
pre-release software."

-----Burton