Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Windows Vista current flaws

From: <Lance.Druger () wellsfargo com>
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2005 12:10:30 -0500

Considering the small user base and that this is almost a complete
rewrite of windows there probably aren't too many active exploits.  I'd
allow it with the following caveats:

1. He must run a local bi-directional firewall (Windows Vista firewall I
believe is bi-directional)

2. If exploits are uncovered he'll have to re-image the machine to the
standard.

3. You offer no support or assistance

4. If you see suspicious traffic on the machine you'll kill the
connection

If he knows what he's doing he could just set up dual boot and you may
or may not be able to tell what he's running.  Better to be upfront than
to push him to work around the system.

No offence, but an un-patched XP machine is probably riskier at this
juncture, but I'm assuming the security standards aren't that high. This
is just my opinion.

Lance Druger