Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Windows Vista current flaws

From: "Roger A. Grimes" <roger () banneretcs com>
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2005 12:33:08 -0400

I'm not sure there is a "right" position on this...only conjecture and
opinion. Here's mine.

Vista has several new good security features, that make it a more secure
platform than XP, not the least of which is IE 7 and Least Privilege
User accounts. It, no doubt, has new security flaws. But few of them
will come out before its official release, and of those, none will be
widely exploited now because the OS isn't popular enough to allow
Vista-only malware to spread. So, overall,the risk is probably less than
XP...but it's all conjecture in the end.

Widely spreading malware is rarely cutting edge. Usually there has to be
a saturation of the marketplace with the vulnerable software, before the
risk really increases.

Roger

***
*Roger A. Grimes, Banneret Computer Security, Consultant
*CPA, CISSP, MCSE: Security (2000/2003/MVP), CEH, CHFI, TICSA
*email: roger () banneretcs com
*cell: 757-615-3355
*Author of Honeypots for Windows (Apress)
*http://www.apress.com/book/bookDisplay.html?bID=281
****