Security Basics mailing list archives

New Job.

From: palmer.howard () gmail com
Date: 27 Sep 2005 13:00:27 -0000

Hello all. I would like to send a thank you before hand for the response’s and suggestions I am to recv from this email.

After month's of searching, I have been hired into a job position as the Network Administrator. The company currently
has a very bad setup of there Network infrastructure and has hired me to come in, asses the damage, and design a
network, no matter the budget, that would help to keep and grow them for the future.

I have very little experience (on the job training) with designing a network. I am a new graduate of Technical college,
where I graduated with all A's, and did very well on my Capstone with designing/building a Network infrastructure.
I have 5 to 6 years in the IT field, N+, A+, Solaris 10, Linux+, and the AS degree in Computer Network
Systems;CCNA-pending. My experience comes from designing/building PC/Laptops, remote desktop support, and my most
pervious position was System Database admin on Solairs/Unix platform;Telnet,SSH,VNC,VPN, VT100 Terminal..etc to remote
clients.

What I ask from you expert's is this.

Help!! I would like to be pointed in a direction that may help to guide me in creating a "beginners" style network.
Are there any basic/template designs available?

There are a list of things I know we need.

1. A new Web Server.
2. File server
3. FTP server
4. Application server