Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Creating a Test Network

From: Jonathan Loh <kj6loh () yahoo com>
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2005 22:18:37 -0700 (PDT)

Better to use an isolated network.  OS?  whatever OS you are comfortable with.
You will not be spending much time with your OS just logging on thru the serial
console to your router(s) or switch(es).  You may want to invest in a console
server, though it's really not neccessary.  You can just unplug from one
console port to another.

You will probably want at least three routers and two switches.  The switches
should be managed switches, not the 10 or 20 dollar kind you can find at your
local computer store.  At least one of the switches should be a cisco switch,
you are after all going for a CCNA.  At least one of the three routers should
support vlan trunking.  All routers need to have a serial port.  If you want to
invest in an ISDN simulator, such as the atlas 550, a little on the expensive
side, I've been told there are cheaper alternatives, then get ISDN ports for
the routers too.  But remember to get the correct ISDN connections.  That's all
I can think of now.

If you want to go a cheaper route (well maybe not depending on how cheap you
can get your routers) you can get the boson netsim or routersim.  You may want
to invest in more memory if you do, because it was quite memory intensive (I
have a PII-400).

If you have access to a local community college, some community colleges offer
a CCNA program.  What you can do is sign up there, and have access to
equipment.

--- nietsec () gmail com wrote:

Hey guys !!!

I want to ask some questions regarding a test network for experiments...I
have 3 systems.I have VMWare 4.5 .Various OS's.etc etc ..I have not taken
CCNA exam ..so please dont mind to answer my silly questions

1.Can I can use Internet Connection sharing for 2 machines ? Or should i have
to take 3 different IP's from ISP.

2.How many OS's Should i install on 3 systems.

please help me

Yahoo! Music Unlimited
http://music.yahoo.com/unlimited/