Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: TCP/IP Port Security

From: Kurt <kryptology () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 00:17:45 -0400

Shot in the dark, but you could try using snort to profile your
existing network traffic and catalogue it in a smarter way than just
reviewing ethereal output, but maybe you could whip up a smart way to
do it that would work for you.  Lots of cool projects out there that
might help like http://www.snort.org/dl/contrib/patches/snort-perl/ or
http://www.chaotic.org/guardian/

It is probably much easier to list just the ports/protocols/signatures
you allow on the network, and then ban everything else. No need to
worry about the dynamic nature of X11 if you don't have it on your
network.

Good luck!