Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Creating a Test Network

From: Edmund <edmund () belfordhk com>
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 17:12:28 +0800

nietsec () gmail com sighed and wrote::

Hey guys !!!

I want to ask some questions regarding a test network for experiments...I have 3 systems.I have VMWare 4.5 .Various
OS's.etc etc ..I have not taken CCNA exam ..so please dont mind to answer my silly questions

1.Can I can use Internet Connection sharing for 2 machines ? Or should i have to take 3 different IP's from ISP.

I believe you can, or why don't you just get a router and
hook up your 3 systems either to the router (which should
have at least 3 100/10BaseT ports, or get a router and
a switch and hook the three systems to the switch which
is then hooked to the router.  Boom. All three systems
have access (if and when you set the gateway on
the machines to the router's internal IP).

2.How many OS's Should i install on 3 systems.

As many as you like.  Depends entirely on what kind
of test network you wish to try out.

VMworkstation's a nice thing to try out, but does require
a bit of a hefty system(IMHO) to handle more than two
guest O/S.   I'm running 5.0 right now.  It is a good
test-bed to try out different operating systems; but
for production work, it's a bit iffy.  That time
dilation effect (*grin*) certainly gets me irritated.
And yes, YMMV.

Edmund