Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Double authentication (User & Machine) with VPN SSL

From: "Roger A. Grimes" <roger () banneretcs com>
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 05:07:57 -0400

Sorry for the late reply. I've been working a lot.

If you've got Windows and IIS, it should be pretty easy. You can require
IPSec certs (i.e. machine certs) to connect the computers to the web
server machine using the typical IPSec policy and normal IPSec certs. If
your web server is located behind a NAT device, the server would have to
be W2K3 (to do NAT Transversal). Then on IIS, Directory Security, enable
and require SSL (the normal way), and then ALSO enable Require Client
mapping. That feature will require that all connecting users have a User
cert, previously mapped (i.e. attached to their Active Directory
account) to connect.

If you need more details I can give them.

Roger

***
*Roger A. Grimes, Banneret Computer Security, Consultant
*CPA, CISSP, MCSE: Security (2000/2003/MVP), CEH, CHFI, TICSA
*email: roger () banneretcs com
*cell: 757-615-3355
*Author of Honeypots for Windows (Apress)
*http://www.apress.com/book/bookDisplay.html?bID=281
****