Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Wireless Security

From: "Herman Frederick Ebeling, Jr." <hfebelingjr () lycos com>
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2005 22:29:14 -0400

::
:
: Herman,
:
: Basically, if you access their system in any way whatsoever, you're in the
: wrong.  If you browse to their computer via Network Neighborhood and
: right-click and choose "Properties", then no, that's not invading their
: system.

That's good to hear.

:
: In short, it shouldn't even come to that - if they're on your network, there
: are numerous ways of getting rid of them, and you're not entitled by law to
: find out the owner's name of the system by accessing it, since that would be
: invading their privacy (I don't personally agree with that, but that's me.)

I've gotta agree with ya there.  IF they're gonna invade our systems then we
should have the right to find out who they
are.

:
: Best bet is to do an arp -a to grab their MAC address, and block it from the
: network.  After all, they might not even know what's going on, since Windows
: is "Plug 'N Pray".  Too bad ignorance isn't illegal :)

Yep, which is why I was thinking that one should be able to use Network
Neighborhood to glean any and all information
about who they are.

It's been at least a wk or so since I last did an ipconfig /all on my laptop,
but when I did so tonight I came up with
a new LAN connection.  Something called Microsoft TV/Video Connection.  I know
that it ISN'T anything that I've added
to my laptop.

Any ideas what it is?

Herman