Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Leaving a door open?

From: Jonathan Loh <kj6loh () yahoo com>
Date: Mon, 30 May 2005 16:40:05 -0700 (PDT)

Hi emmanuel,

But now you know that 7623 is a bad idea now too right?

--- Gonzalo Martinez <karmax () gmail com> wrote:

Hi emmanuel

On 5/27/05, Emmanuel Goldstein <goldstein101 () gmail com> wrote:
Should I map ports so instead of opening 22 I access through (eg) 'ssh
-p 7623'. That way is not that obvious i have an open ssh port is, it?

Yes, its a good idea.

Any other security issues i should be concerned about?

You can use a normal user account to remote login, and (if you NEED) can
"su".

Is it better to just set up an ftp server?

No, in fact i think that an ftp server in any system would be a risk
(for well know security issues). Anyway i dont understand the
replacement of an sshd with an ftpd ? :-?

sftp, no need to start a new server.  The ssh server will serve sftp too.

Bye

--
Gonzalo Martinez