Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Leaving a door open?

From: Ashish Popli <apopli () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 28 May 2005 03:58:10 -0400

Here are some things you can do to improve security of your set up
1. Make sure you use public key encryption to mutually authenticate the client and your ssh server. Default password based authentication is more prone to attacks. 2. Protect your client machine from attackers, specifically, protect your private key and its decryption password.
3. Keep your ssh server uptodate with any patches released by vendor
4. Keep your router/firewall firmware uptodate

Cheers,
Ashish Popli
I have a linux box that is integrated in my home Lan, and a router
with firewall capabilities.

Is this secure??? Note that my admin password is really hard to guess,
so im not concerned about bruteforce attacks.

Should I map ports so instead of opening 22 I access through (eg) 'ssh
-p 7623'. That way is not that obvious i have an open ssh port is, it?

Any other security issues i should be concerned about?
Is this a good idea?
Is it better to just set up an ftp server?