Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Leaving a door open?

From: SandEr <n00bical () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 29 May 2005 09:03:29 +0200

Emmanuel Goldstein wrote:

Hi!

My ISP gives me a static Ip and I was thinking about leaving the SSH
port open so I can access my computer from anywhere since i always
have it switched on.

I have a linux box that is integrated in my home Lan, and a router
with firewall capabilities.

Is this secure??? Note that my admin password is really hard to guess,
so im not concerned about bruteforce attacks.

Should I map ports so instead of opening 22 I access through (eg) 'ssh
-p 7623'. That way is not that obvious i have an open ssh port is, it?

Any other security issues i should be concerned about?
Is this a good idea?
Is it better to just set up an ftp server?

Thanks for your help. Cheers. Bye.

If you are looking for a way to transfer files and no need to perform
remote administration you could take a look at this

http://cr.yp.to/publicfile.html

If the files you want to be available are sensitive in some manner you
could also take a look at this

http://www.sublimation.org/scponly/

Furthermore i do agree on your vision "Security through obscurity"

And if you do wish to run a ssh server make sure it is configured with
"security minded" options