Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: user name from security logs

From: pierpaolo giacomin <yrzto6 () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 10:04:54 +0200

On Sun, 29 May 2005 22:26:42 +0200
Emmanuel Goldstein <goldstein101 () gmail com> wrote:

Hi everybody.

I've recently started to work in an Internet Cafe wich has a network
of 10 Pc's running linux (Debian Woody). The thing is that the guy
that was in charge of the network left without leaving the admin
password cause he was fired, so now we can only access the computers
with a regular user account.

I have physical access to the computer and i can also access all hd's
files using a LiveCD linux distribution.

ok, it's enough...
you have to mount / or /etc in rw and delete the x between ":" on the
root's line in /etc/passwd so you can log without password and then
change it.

root:x:0:0:root:/root:/bin/sh -> root::0:0:root:/root:/bin/sh

./pier
--
    "I worry about my child and the Internet all the time, even though
she's too young to have logged on yet. Here's what I worry about. I