Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Encrypted emails

From: Nathaniel Hall <halln () otc edu>
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2005 11:48:58 -0600

tod wrote:
| I have a similar problem. I need to identify a secure
| solution which numerous contractors can use to
| communcate with each other and with my org on a
| project for the next 2 years.
|
| Many contractors organizations don't support secure
| mail, or use yahoo (like me!) and the admins wouldn't
| set up PKI in any reasonable time frame.
|
| I'm looking for something like a shared single key
| encryption solution that the vendors could all use.
|

| --- John Madden <chiwawa999 () yahoo com> wrote:
|
|>Hi,
|>
|>Looking at the potential deployment and solutions
|>for
|>encrypted emails i had a few questions.
|>
|>What do large organization do to ensure that email
|>are
|>securely transfered with a partner/customer for
|>sensitive data ?
|>
|>Using public/private keys seems like a whole lot of
|>problems...
|>
|>- How do you exchange keys ? Manually ? This might
|>be
|>ok for a couple of recipient but can you imagine
|>hundreds/thousunds at different companies...
|>
|>- PKI, having to deal with the infrastructure could
|>be
|>a nightmare.
|>
|>- Employees learning curve....
|>
|>Are companies using an encryption software that will
|>encrypt the messages/attachments and transmit the
|>password to decrypt by phone ?
|>
|>I would like your comments/suggestions.
|>
|>Thanks
|>
|>John
|>

|>__________________________________
|>Celebrate Yahoo!'s 10th Birthday!
|>Yahoo! Netrospective: 100 Moments of the Web
|>http://birthday.yahoo.com/netrospective/

| Yahoo! Small Business - Try our new resources site!
| http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/resources/

At the very least, there is a program call MySecret.exe.  It allows you
to encrypt/decrypt files or text from the clipboard using a password.

I just noticed there is a gui version available at the same site, but I
have not used it.  Here is the site:

http://www.di-mgt.com.au/cryptoMySecret.html

You might give it a try for what you need.
- --

Nathaniel Hall, GSEC
Intrusion Detection and Firewall Technician
Ozarks Technical Community College -- Office of Computer Networking

halln () otc edu
417-447-7535
GPG Public Key ID: 0xAC187312