Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Encrypted emails

From: Kinnell <kinnell.t () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 13:08:35 -0600

The basic idea for this key encryption is:

When you want to encrypt a message to a client, a client or key
authority gives you a key to encrypt with. So at this point we can
encrypt a new key for this conversation("session key") with client's
public key, the client can then decrypt this "session key" with it's
private key. To further ensure secure communication the client can
then encrypt an answer back to the sender with the sender's public
key, and once received and acknowledged then both sides can now use
the "session key" to encrypt this communication.

That is the basic method, however we can take further steps to make
sure that the key cannot be grabbed from mid-transmission by using
more keys and encrypting sequence #s into the messages..

The PKI could become a nightmare, but I really doubt that if done right.

I would love to hear some horror stories though if anyone on the list
would care to share :)

-Kinnell

On Wed, 9 Mar 2005 13:29:35 -0800 (PST), John Madden