Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Career Choice

From: "Andrew Blair" <Andrew.Blair () genmills com>
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2005 22:37:21 -0600

I can speak to this strategy having recently chosen it. The security
industry requires trust. Trust requires experience. I took a job for a
larger company knowing I was going in doing tech support. From the first
day I made known my interest in security and actively looked for
opportunities to contribute to security initiatives and expand and share
my security knowledge. After only 9 months (thanks to some auspicious
timing) I was given a job taking care of client security for all PCs in
our company. This job puts me in contact with the people responsible for
securing our servers, networks, and applications.

I would say be willing to start with something basic and use that
opportunity to show security interest and knowledge. After you get some
credibility and have a chance to show your knowledge other opportunities
will start to show up for you.

If you can, get one of the certifications that do not require experience
(Security+ for example). I think it demonstrates that you have at least
a basic competency (results may vary company to company... I've heard
some value it more than others).

Andy