Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Career Choice

From: Geoff Scott <geoff.scott.mail () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2005 12:12:25 -0800

On Tue, 8 Mar 2005 22:11:53 -0500, dave kleiman <dave () isecureu com> wrote:
Richard,

One thing you can definitely do if your goal is Forensics. Find your Local
Sheriff's / Police department that has Computer Crimes Unit and volunteer
your free time.
Trust me they can use the help, most of them have a work load that is beyond
belief. Almost all PD and SO's have volunteer programs.  It will give you
the opportunity to see the skill sets you will need. You will of course be
limited to what you are allowed to be involved in, but experience is
experience, I volunteer 100-200 hours a year to my local Sheriff's and
States Attorneys office and it is as much a benefit for me as it is for
them.

Regards,

Apologies for hijacking this thread for a moment...

I'm 5 years out of school with a Chemical Engineering degree.  I'd
like to switch careers and security is a passion of mine.  I don't
need to be a pen-tester, even a lacky in the field would be fine.  The
suggestion of volunteering at the police/sheriff dept. was a good one
(I never thought of that!).  Any more suggestions for someone out of
school?  I'm guessing it's a tough hill to climb.  I'm willing to do
just about anything with the exception of expensive certs.

Thanks,

--
I have some G-Mail invites.
Let me know if you want one.