Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: RE: Best spyware program

From: Mike Fetherston <mike_sha () shaw ca>
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 08:16:14 -0400

In my experience none of the spyware scanners ever seem to get a system
truly clean, especially when dealing with some of the more devious stuff
out there that keeps a process running with SYSTEM privs. They can be
handy for early warning though, so I suppose it depends on what your focus
is. If you're looking for something to tip you off to a possible
infection, any of a number of scanners works great. If you're actually
trying to get the system clean, nothing I've tried so far competes with
booting to safe mode and running hijack this.

That's been my experience as well.  I have the opportunity to see many
infected machines a week all with different symptoms, so I've been able to
try out the order of scanning and cleaning with each Spybot, Ad-Aware, MSAS,
and HijackThis.  All find traces that the other left behind no matter what
order they've been run in.

For a really bad infection I will do as you mentioned above as well as
running the other three that I mentioned all in Safe Mode.  In addition, I
will enumerate the startup registry entries and go hunting for the
individual files.  You'd be surprised how many times these scanners leave
the .exes and .dlls behind!!  While you're in %systemroot%\system32 and
other places that spyware favours, it doesn't hurt to manually scan the file
list.

Mike Fetherston