Security Basics mailing list archives

ntds.dit, john and pwdump2

From: "Dave Dyer" <ddyer () ciber com>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2005 10:27:50 -0800

Hello List,

I am cracking a password file for a client, and have a copy of the NTDS.DIT
file from a domain controller (win2k/Active Directory). We do not have
access to L0phtcrack currently, and I'm on a deadline. I was going to use
John the Ripper with some plugins written by 3rd parties to crack the
password file, but apparently the NTDS.DIT file isn't really a hashed file
that John can read

After some research, I found that you can use PWDUMP2 to actually export the
user/pw information on the DC to a hashed file that you can then crack with
John (even if syskey is used after SP2). However, in order for PWDUMP to
work, you have to run it as an administrator from the DC itself, where it
injects its own .dll into the lsass.exe process, which I no longer have
access to. My question is this:

Does anyone know if there is a way to extract the user/pw information from
the NTDS.DIT file (rather than from lsass.exe on the server) into a hashed
file that I can then crack with John?

If not, does anyone have any other suggestions on what I can do with this
NTDS.DIT file to crack it?

Thanks in Advance,

dave

Dave Dyer

<mailto:ddyer () enspherics com <mailto:ddyer () enspherics com> >

"So you'll bring experts in to water the company's plants but you'll do the
security thing yourself?"

-QinetiQ in the Financial Times