Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: MS SQL 2000

From: James Eaton-Lee <james.mailing () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 04:30:25 +0000

On Wed, 2005-01-19 at 12:47 -0800, Kevin Carlson wrote:
You might want to start here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=9552d43b-04eb-4af9-9e24-6cde4d933600&DisplayLang=en
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/sql/2000/maintain/sp3sec00.mspx

Kevin

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/tsqlref/ts_tsqlcon_6lyk.asp

this provides an excellent overview of Transact-SQL itself (mssql-style)
- I have this bookmarked in at least a dozen places as I tend to refer
to it fairly frequently when I'm forced to use mssql!

In addition to the above, if you're wanting to lock microsoft sql down,
an extremely good place to start are the NSA's 'Security Configuration
Guides' - which I thoroughly recommend.

There's one such document available which is about 4000k as a pdf (the
description on the page itself gets the size wrong!) on mssql 2000
available for download from this page:

http://www.nsa.gov/snac/downloads_msql.cfm?MenuID=scg10.3.1.2

It's a little out of date (last revised August 2003), but it's still
good. :) The overview to all of the guides is at
http://www.nsa.gov/snac , obviously!

Hope that helps!

 - James.