Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: ntds.dit, john and pwdump2

From: "Roger A. Grimes" <roger () banneretcs com>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 08:03:02 -0500

Dave,

I did a paper on password crackers against Windows a few months ago and
looked at all the different password tools I could find. I found about
20 of them.  Most are resetters and most only reset local SAM accounts.
Only two, Lophtcrack and Windows XP/2000/NT Key can do domain account
manipulation. Lophtcrack is the best choice of course, if you can afford
it (although strangely their tech support/marketing folks did not reply
to my email queries).  But even Lophtcrack needs NTLM or LM hashes to
crack...NTLMv2 hashes are too strong. The other choice, Windows
XP/2000/NT Key, http://www.lostpassword.com/windows-xp-2000-nt.htm, is a
commercial password resetter product. It needs Windows install boot
diskettes to work, but claims to reset domain administrator passwords,
too.  Works with Windows Server 2003. I didn't test it though so I can't
vouch for its accuracy.

If all you need is to get access, a resetter will work fasters and
better than a cracker. Unfortunately, in both cases the solution is
commercial.

Good luck with your problem.  Please let me know how it turns out.

Roger

***
*Roger A. Grimes, Banneret Computer Security, Computer Security
Consultant
*CPA, CISSP, MCSE: Security (NT/2000/2003/MVP), CNE (3/4), CEH, CHFI
*email: roger () banneretcs com
*cell: 757-615-3355
*Author of Malicious Mobile Code:  Virus Protection for Windows by
O'Reilly
*http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/malmobcode
*Author of Honeypots for Windows (Apress)
*http://www.apress.com/book/bookDisplay.html?bID=281
****