Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: ntds.dit, john and pwdump2

From: "Dave Dyer" <ddyer () enspherics com>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 09:29:46 -0700

Thanks for the suggestion, Brian, but a couple of items:

1. I don't normally make a habit of downloading standalone executables
directly from the internet unless they're signed or from a trusted source.
Nevertheless, my curiosity got the best of me, so I downloaded it to a
non-sensitive machine to try it out.

2.  When I ran the executeable, samdump was looking for a file samexport.txt
which it couldn't find.  Turns out that samdump.exe needs samexport.txt to
run.  Samexport.txt seems to be an export of the registry "accounts" key
which can then be turned into a hashed file by samdump.  The following
command can export the registry values:

regedit.exe /E /A samexport.txt "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SAM\SAM\Domains\Account"

So, that being said, this doesn't really work for my purposes.  I don't
really want to crack the passwords on my machine, but from this file I have
from the client.  I even, as a lark and for want of some better option,
tried to rename the NTDS.DIT file to samexport.txt (yes, I knew it wouldn't
work, but I wanted to see what would happen), and ran samdump against it
with no luck whatsoever.  In fact, if you want a very subtle DOS, it crashed
the hell out of an XP box I was running.

Anyway, doesn't look like samdump is going to do the trick, unless I'm
missing something?

Any other suggestions?