Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Taking control of user's desktops

From: "Corey Watts-Jones" <cwattsjones () rogers com>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 13:16:05 -0500

If you're using an all windows platform, particularily XP, then the built-in
Remote Assistance feature does exactly what you're looking for. Requires
user permission for starting a session, starts the session in a Monitoring
mode which allows Helpdesk direction without them actually having to
manually do anything or the tech can take control of the session allowing
the user to see what is going on as well.

Same situation for users on Terminal Services. It's quite simple to remote
control a session from the TS Management console and can be set to require
authorization for the session to initiate.

Unless you need a very robust set of tools then why go out to a 3rd party
app?

Corey