Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: A question about USB Storage.

From: Florian Streck <streck () papafloh de>
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2005 18:20:36 +0200

Hello,

I'm not sure if this is really a better solution.
The Problems I see are:
- when the device is used it's the same as with temp/swap files on a
  disk.
- when it's not used someone could find a usb-stick lying around ...

Using Linux I think it's very easy to implement.
And if you delete the data on the usb-device before logoff, you could
also do this to your temporary files or the swap-area. And with an
usb-device you have the complication that you can't be sure that the
data was erased. Perhaps you pulled it out a little to fast ...

I'd prefer to put such important temporary data on an encrypted
filesystem. But the solution I'm using right now has the disadvantage
that after I mounted that filesystem everyone with root-privileges can
read it. My workaround is to only use it on a system were no one but me
has access. But the why encrypt that stuff if I'm the only user?
If someone on this list has a solution for my dilemma I'd be very
thankful.

Florian Streck