Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: A question about USB Storage.

From: Eugene Nine <enine () ninefamily com>
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2005 18:52:23 -0400

On Tuesday 02 August 2005 01:07 am, Carlos Manuel de La Concha Canedo wrote:
Dear List Members,

I have been reading threads recently about recovering temporary data such
as swap file, temp files, et al.
If the information in the swap file and other system temporal files its so
important ¿why don´t put it in a usb device?
With a usb capacity of about 4 GB it could be a solution (and an added
complication) for the security of such files.

Listing 4G sounds liek your talking about a flash device.  This will cause a
large performance hit.  First of all USB is slower than IDE or SATA so if its
flash or not it will still be slower than an internal drive.  If its flash it
will be even slower as flash has a longer write time than hard disks.  Size
would be another issue, add up a couple G in swap, then your web browser
cache and you run out of 4G pretty quick.

It´s possible to do it? In windows? In linux? In Freebsd?

Its possible.  Windows wants to write to a lot more than just swap or temp,
you will have to make a lot of registry modifications and/or use a tool such
as Windows Embedded to make it work half way decent.
Linux/BSD its pretty easy to move and symlink.

I think that the sistem could include a function to erase the usb device at
logoff or shutdown, besides, could you prove that
A specific usb device was used in a specific computer?

Why not flip it the other way around.  Run your OS from Read only flash and
store everything you need in RAM.  This is pretty easy with the Linux/BSD
OS's I hacked together a little system running out of flash in one evening
with only a few months of ever playing with Linux.  Windows you can use an
embedded tookkit and make it mostly work that way.
This way when you power off the system all your "history" is lost since it was
in RAM.

Thanks for your attention

Ing. Carlos Manuel De La Concha Canedo
ofeyNET
Clavelinas 257-1
Colonia Nueva Santa María
02800, Azcapotzalco, Distrito Federal, México

"Cuando se siente herida, la ostra...
hace una perla."
Anónimo