Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: University Degree or CISSP

From: "McKinley, Jackson" <Jackson.McKinley () team telstra com>
Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2005 10:11:55 +1000

 From personal experience Ive found it works both ways.  Sure having the
degree and cert will get you pas the first cut but then it really
starts.  So you impress the managers with your cert and degree's in what
ever field and you get your second interview.  Now what happens?

Well normally you meet the team leader and his "head" tech.  Most of the
time they wont be all that impressed with your papers and want you to
prove you have the ability to take what you have learnt in the class
room to the real world where you don't have access to everything and you
have the all important and biggest road block to troubleshooting... The
customer :P ahahha

Ive seen people that look REAL good on paper and one sticks out from
them all.. Hired as a lvl3 engineer in a SOC, then we all had to cover
him for 2 mths till we just gave up and it was plain to the manager and
he was asked to leave... He had it all, Masters, CCNP, MCSE, etc, etc...
What he didn't have was a clue about the real world..  Give him a fault
and he couldn't work it back, just didn't have the "Stuff" you get from
hands on experience.

What I guess I'm saying is that its not just about your bits of paper..
But its more about you.  Personally I have a couple and they are
normally so I can make it past the recruitment companies cutting.. Then
its all about my work experience, my thirst to learn more and what I
sell to employers as "My abilities to see things other people don't"  :P
Since this is what I do as a threat analyst..

Think about where you want to be doing in 5, 10, 15 years...  Find what
you need to do those jobs and start doing it,  always making sure you
are moving, moving sideways or forward never backwards..

Cheers

Jack.