Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: University Degree or CISSP

From: nds2a () alumni virginia edu
Date: 30 Aug 2005 14:33:10 -0000

I'd go for the University degree. I think it gives you a much better understanding of a larger range of material than a
certification. For example, you may get to spear-head your own computer security projects, possibly working within a
team, conduct tests and report results to an actual audience. Although this could be done in your spare time, it's much
more meaningful and you may gain more experience from doing it in an academic environment. As far as industry
acceptability, it's important to realize that more people are getting degrees nowadays. Therefore, it may definately be
to your future advantage to have one as well. Also, its certainly possible to do some certifications while you're
getting your degree. But I don't think studying for a certification is in anyway comparable to earning a degree.