Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: what to do?

From: Leif Ericksen <leife () dls net>
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 15:23:36 -0500

YIKES.
..."If you feel that these attacks are a serious threat then I
would recommend doing the reverse and only allowing certain IP addresses
through your firewall to sshd."

That is what I would do in the first place.  On my home network I have a
default rule that blocks all IPS by default.  However, I have one port
80 set up for everybody.  I love the MS directed attacks on my Linux
server so much that I created some of the directories to mess with the
kiddies.

Now as for ssh I only allow a specific set of defined IPS through the
firewall for that services.

IMHO best rule is first to block everything and only turn on known IPS
unless it is for a service that should be allow all... (web and email
for an internet facing server)

--
Leif Ericksen