Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: University Degree or CISSP

From: "Brunner, Mark" <MBrunner () tor fasken com>
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 10:49:28 -0400

Soum,

That really depends on your intended career path.  Do you plan on filling a hands-on position in networking, a
technical job in InfoSec, or perform a strategic IT/InfoSec management function?

Holding certifications will help you land a job in the realm of the certificate.  It demonstrates a measured level of
understanding within that field, and possibly experience.

Holding a University degree will help you get a job in the realm of general business.  It demonstrates a level of
commitment, and understanding of the field of study.

They are complimentary.  If I was just entering the field, uncertain of my direction, and had the time and the
resources, I would pursue a single cert, then the degree, then other certs to fill the gaps.

Mark