Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Strange IP

From: Jeff MacDonald <jam () zoidtechnologies com>
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 15:41:39 -0400

On Fri, Aug 12, 2005 at 02:46:43AM -0000, idolcrash () gmail com wrote:

Hello all, I recently ran Angry IP Scanner to see what was on my network,
so I could get the IP of a wireless access point I use to tinker with it.
However, I found a strange thing residing at 192.168.15.2, which ran
something by Marconi called Element Manager. My network starts at
192.168.0.x, so I was wondering if this is still in the realm of a private
network (so far as IP assignment) and if anyone had any info on what
exactly this is.

yes, 192.168.0.0/16 is considered "private" space (so is 10.0.0.0/8 and
172.16/12), so 192.168.15.0/24 fits in there.. if you have the netmasks
configured right, 192.168.15.0/24 shouldn't work, though.. that is another
issue, I suppose.

here is a link to RFC1918: <http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc1918.txt>

Also, I would appreciate it if some could direct me to some decent network
administration tools I can use to secure and find vulnerabilities with my
network. I am still at a 'new' level with network security and
administration (which I've been interested in for a long time, but I've
just been overwhelmed by all the information out there) and enjoy learning
whatever I can. Thanks.

personally I use nmap (latest version) for network scans (free from
<http://insecure.org/>), and nessus for scanning and finding vulnerabilities
<http://nessus.org/>.. as for "administration" (i.e. "fixing stuff") you're
on your own. :)

hth..