Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: unadministered open ports

From: Jacob Bresciani <jacob () bresciani ca>
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 10:05:40 -0700

I'm jumping into this conversation a little late so I apologize if I'm missing facts.

Filtered ports just mean somewhere between the requesting machine and the answering machine the ports are being filtered. It doesn't mean that they are even open on the answering machine just that somewhere the requests got filtered by a gateway/firewall/... somewhere along the way. The filter could even be happening by personal software on the answering machine even if the ports are already closed, if the firewall says the ports are filtered then that is the reply that is sent back.

hope that helps somewhat.

Jacob Bresciani
Etraffic Solutions
jacob () etrafficsolutions com
Systems / Network Administrator
BUS (250) 658-8238 ex 39
FAX (250) 658-5936

"Passwords are like bubble gum, strongest when fresh, should never be used by groups and create a sticky mess when left laying around"

-anon