Security Basics mailing list archives

Strange IP

From: idolcrash () gmail com
Date: 12 Aug 2005 02:46:43 -0000

Hello all, I recently ran Angry IP Scanner to see what was on my network, so I could get the IP of a wireless access
point I use to tinker with it. However, I found a strange thing residing at 192.168.15.2, which ran something by
Marconi called Element Manager. My network starts at 192.168.0.x, so I was wondering if this is still in the realm of a
private network (so far as IP assignment) and if anyone had any info on what exactly this is.

Also, I would appreciate it if some could direct me to some decent network administration tools I can use to secure and
find vulnerabilities with my network. I am still at a 'new' level with network security and administration (which I've
been interested in for a long time, but I've just been overwhelmed by all the information out there) and enjoy learning
whatever I can. Thanks.