Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Mac X-Server Security Questions...

From: "Brad Berson" <brad.berson () bytebrothers org>
Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2005 18:55:56 -0400

so ipfw does work and deny.

So we thought too, except that we were able to match deny lines with
actual access records from the other logs.  I'm sure in your case it IS
working, but in ours it surely was not.  Or there's always the
possibility that we're mixing apples and oranges and I don't know enough
to differentiate the patterns of evidence.

If there was a setup problem, no way to know.  Could be.  Server's been
rebuilt since then so no way will we know for sure.  Had Apple been more
cooperative at the time, perhaps I'd be able to tell you.  Since they
were not, our response was to tear the box down (again), and put it back
up behind a shiny new Sonicwall with no services exposed to the world at
all until we could get a grip on things.

-Brad

Earn your MS in Information Security ONLINE
Organizations worldwide are in need of highly qualified information security
professionals.  Norwich University is fulfilling this demand with its MS in
Information Security offered online.  Recognized by the NSA as an
academically excellent program, NU offers you the opportunity to earn your
degree without disrupting your home or work life.

http://www.msia.norwich.edu/secfocus_en