Security Basics mailing list archives

X permission at the directory?

From: "Monty Ree" <chulmin2 () hotmail com>
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2005 09:13:03 +0000

Hello, all.

I have some questions about permission.

I think that W(write) permission means that I can delete, creation..etc..
So, I think that users who in the test group can write some files in the test directory. Because, I have write permission.

drwx-w----     root     test     test/

But I can't, with only plus X(execute) permission like below can do that.

drwx-wx---     root     test     test/

What's the meaning of the X(execute) at the directory?
Surely, I know the role at the file.

Thanks in advance.