Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Client End Firewalls

From: GuidoZ <uberguidoz () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 20:45:09 -0400

Hello again Ansgar. Sorry for my delayed response - was out of town
for a week. =)

That may or may not help, depending on the user's skills. The problem
with policies in Win9x is that you can't enforce them. Any user who
knows the way around it will be able to bypass your measures.

Yeah, had that problem before too. Like I mentioned - it only worked
for the curious users. Not the smart ones. ;) It's very limiting to be
stuck on Win9x knowing I could do my job effectively on a WinNT
system. You do what you can though.

Point already taken, though with respect to spyware I would rather set
up other measures like using other browsers and restricting IE to
localhost and some pages that expressly need IE to work (see other
sub-thread).

I agree, though in this case it just isn't really possible. Due to the
proprietary ActiveX they use, they need to access multiple machines
(everything from a data warehouse across the country to desktop PCs
around the corner). I'm looking forward to the implementation of a
java based solution instead. One has been promised within 6 months,
but personally I don't buy it. Time will tell.

When it comes to Spyware, I'm personally surprised by how much really
gets by. I educate. I use all the popular programs (SpyBot, AdAware,
BHODemon, etc). I lock down the system as best as I can. If it wasn't
for the need of ONE 3rd party browser extension, I'd turn off those
too. (A wonderful to stop a number of nasty lil malware.) Yet, it
still gets through. Usually it's due to the ID 10 T error... users
disable/exit scanners to speed up the system (being some are stuck on
PIIs). Being it's not many systems, I handle the updates manually.
That is, I make sure they get done personally. I'm still baffled how I
can perform an update one week, then go back the next and have to do
it again. I think someone is messing with me. (O_o)

I've seen this one coming ;)

I figured you knew better. =)

It is true that the packet filter of a PFW allows you to control
connections on a per-IP-basis. However, you should ask yourself why
users need to share folders on their desktop-PCs anyway. IMHO a central
file server would be a much more reasonable approach (think about
backups, too).

I've said the same things a number of times. However, once again this
scenario makes it difficult to do anything else. The only "server"
system they have is a Win98 box running Jana Server to allow printing
from the data warehouse. I cringe knowing that if that system were to
go down, they would go belly up. I've done what I can to protect it
(mirrored the drive with software RAID) and have setup security
precautions. Hardly a place I'd want to have everyone have access to -
in any form.

Even so, it was only an example. I've also used the filters to limit
access to other aspects of the systems (like they can receive email
but not send from a certain server). More to come.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not totally against host-based packet filtering.
In some cases (like notebooks that get connected to various networks
inside and outside your company) they are indeed very useful. I just
don't see their use for computers that will always be connected to your
internal network. I prefer a reasonable network setup over software
based solutions.

See above (scenario warrants it). Beyond that, you make a very good
point. A reasonable network setup should be preferred, though
sometimes we're forced to do what we can with the resources at our
disposal. However, even with a "proper" network architecture in place,
sometimes those added safeguards don't hurt. I was actually just
speaking to someone off list about added layers of security. They
described it something like this: "Look at the added layers as more
hoops to jump through. It's a deterrent to keep hackers from
continuing if they continue to have to jump through more and more
hoops."

Many times, the security that is put in place in organizations like
this one is similar to padlock on a storage locker. If someone (script
kiddie) is going around jiggling the doors and locks to see which is
open, it will deter them. However, if someone (true hacker) is after
what's inside, they will find a way around it. They will learn what
they need to learn in order to circumvent the protections in place.
(Bolt cutters for example.) Smaller organizations that don't have the
funds or desire to have stronger security are just like that padlocked
storage locker. The security they have certainly helps deter the
average passer-by, though it won't do squat if someone really wants
inside.

As a side-note: passwords should never be noted on post-its (or their
like) and users should be educated about this. But you already know
that, right? ;)

=P Education and following policy are two very different things. I've
also educated the users NOT to disable the AV or Spyware scanners.
However, it still gets done (and causes problems). As for the post-it
note example, luckily I haven't had to deal with it (that I know of).
It's unbelievable how much of a true problem it actually is however.

A few weeks ago I was talking with the Postmaster General of a local
city (which I will withhold for their protection) about Priority Mail
shipping for my wife's business. I was invited into their office and
we talked for about 15 minutes. Eventually, we moved online so they
could show me the steps to take for printing posted and scheduling a
pickup. While I was standing there talking to them, I noticed a
post-it on the door next to the monitor. (It was on the inside, though
they had left the cabinet open.) On it was an obvious security
breech... a login user/pass for the USPS Intranet. It also had a
recent date, most likely meaning they had just changed them. I handed
her one of my cards (Computer Security Consultant) and explained what
I had seen and why it was very bad. She turned almost red and said
they had been told not to do such a thing, but they were having a
problem remembering the password...

Feel free to do so, but don't expect too much from me. Though I have
some experience with iptables I'm far from being a professional.

Appreciate the offer. When I go back to trying Smoothwall in that
office, I'm sure I'll run into the problems again. I'll let you know.
;)

[1] http://www.luckie-online.de/programme/UserManager/index.shtml
[2] http://www.fajo.de/portal/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=6

I've seen #2 before, though I haven't really given it a test run.
Thanks for the reminder. As for #1, is there an English version?

AFAIK not. I mailed that question to the author and will keep you posted
on any reply I get.

Once again, appreciate it. Always a pleasure!

--
Peace. ~G

On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 14:31:56 +0200, Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers