Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Client End Firewalls

From: GuidoZ <uberguidoz () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2004 23:23:56 -0700

Awesome points Ansgar. I'll attempt to reply to them as best I can -
it's late and I just got home from a very long day. =)

Depends on your point of view. People may consider it sufficient if the
program stops at least one attack, but I just can't accept unreliable
software as a security feature.

Exactly - it really is about the POV. Depending on the situation, even
stopping one attack can be helpful. Of course it isn't preferred, and
often not the case, but that wasn't the point I was trying to make.
Sometimes spending a little extra time is worth the effort.

It raises the bar a little bit, but IMHO not enough. Password-protection
may be circumvented e.g. by sniffing the password or its hash from
Windows-messages. A client-side firewall should be a service and no user
should be able to tamper with it in any way. Configuration should be
done through a separate program (available only to administrative users)
and should be written to a file (the registry, whatever) from where the
service reads it.

No, it's not enough by any means. However, like a padlock, it's a
deterrent. Sure, you could just go use bolt cutters to remove a Master
padlock, but most don't just carry them around with them. If you come
prepared (with bolt cutters), then you obviously have the intention of
getting in. You've done your homework and know how, so a small
deterrent isn't going to mean much. Same goes for small deterrents in
computer security. They aren't designed to stop everyone, just the
casual "passer-by" that thought it might be fun to peek inside (or
play with settings).

While I certainly agree with your points about admin rights/access
only, that's more difficult to do on Win98 boxes. =) (They have a
handful of them plus some XP Pro and Home.)

You're adding more code and more complexity to the system. This approach
has already been proved wrong by the Witty worm.

Thsi I agree with to a point, however I disagree with the idea you
raised. Yes, it certainly would add more code and complexity to the
system - but since when does adding ANY layer of security not do that?
=) Security and ease of use have never gone hand in hand and I doubt
they ever will.

The Witty worm is a poor example in this case, IMHO. It was a very
advanced worm and designed to attack a specific vulnerability on a
specific product. (Again I point to my "padlock and the prepared
attacker" scenario.) If someone is out to get past minor deterrents,
OR, is after attacking a specific, known vulnerability, then beyond
stopping that exact exploit you're going to be out of luck. It doesn't
apply in this case.

True. However, shutting down services does not aim at this issue at all.
Browsers and mail clients that can't be tricked into executing code as
easily as IE/OE do. Educating the users does. Spam filters and whitlists
for mail-attachments do. Even AV software does.

Very true and good points. However, user education and prevention can
only go so far. In fact, this is the same organization I'm discussing
in a different topic that is limited to IE because of some proprietary
ActiveX scripting they use for daily function. I'm slowly converting
them to Java so they can do away with IE entirely. They don't use OE
or Outlook - I have them on Thunderbird for now.

Plus, it doesn't matter if the email client can't be tricked when the
users don't listen to advise to NOT open attachments. I've also had
the issue of people disabling their antivirus ( as I stated) which
kinda defeats the purpose of it, obviously. Again, it's difficult to
control such things on a Windows 98 box. Upgrading is something they
are doing slowly, but refuse to do all at once. The cost to them can't
be justified, even though I've attempted to explain the same points
you've brought up. (Admin rights, access control, etc.) I can only do
what I'm paid to do sometimes. =)

Maybe, but I consider it a lot easier to keep AV definitions up to date
than getting the client firewall properly configured. YMMV.

Aye, me too. Again, it's just another layer that I prefer to add. As
you said ealier, it depends on the POV and situation. Just because AV
defs are up to date, if they disable their AV, what good does it do
you? I like having the added layer.

Since blocking outbound traffic can't work reliably, I consider PFWs to
be more like a host-based IDS on this behalf. However, I think a real
NIDS (or IPS) will be much more reliable because the malware cannot
tamper with it.

Totally agree. However, try explaining to a small business that has
enough problems purchasing a few Windows XP licenses that they should
go shell out a few grand for a nice firewall. ;)

The licenses may be cheaper, but are they still cheaper after adding the
additional costs for configuration and configuration-changes?

To them, yes. In the long run, most likely not. Unfortunately some
people don't look to see what the traffic is doing ahead so they can
prepare - they just watch the brake lights in front of them and adjust
accordingly.

*(In regards to Sygate access blocks and such...)*
Why do you think so? Having the unnecessary services shut down should
have worked as well, since the PFW cannot protect services that need to
be available on the local network.

Once again, If I can't completely control the environment (Win98),
then I prefer to have a layer of protection between the environment
and the outside world that I CAN control. Just because I turned off
one service doesn't mean that they didn't install a "nifty program"
that turned it back on, or worse yet, installed it's own.

Plus, by using driver level protection, you can (to a point) control
services needed for the local network. Plus, with IP filtering and
advanced rules, you can COMPLETELY control services and necessary
ports from system to system. I can enable one-way file sharing and
computer browsing, for example, by using the advanced rules in Sygate.

However, they should *never* deal with stuff like this on their own (for
obvious reasons) and there should be a policy in place telling them so.
If the online-connection is that crucial for them, they should have
redundant connections or at least someone who is able to do basic
operations/troubleshooting while you are away.

Having a polocy in place and having them follow it are two very
different things. =) You'd think you have never worked with people
before. =P I'm only a consultant, not their IT staff. They pay me to
advise and fix, when they decide they NEED to do so. I have no power
over what they do with their own systems, beyond what they ask me to
attempt to do.

Redundant connections would be nice, but with a 3 figure budget, it's
difficult. That includes all hardware AND software. What I find
slightly funny is the fact they've paid me 10 times the budget they
provide; just to fix stuff that they could of avoided if they would
let me do things right. Guess I shouldn't complain though - puts food
on my table.

Users definitely should not be able to install software to %SystemRoot%
or disable the virus scanner. Issues like these are prevented by not
granting escalated privileges to normal users. Policies help addressing
social issues with that.

No, they shouldn't. Unfortunately it took Microsoft awhile to figure
that out too. Again, having policies in place and having them followed
are two very different things. They aren't a very advanced group,
although they like to think so. Maybe I should print out your reply
(and mine) and show it to them. =D Think it might knock some sense
into them? Doubtful, but worth a try...

Thanks for your comments.

--
Peace. ~G

On Fri, 8 Oct 2004 02:08:05 +0200, Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers