Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Windows 98 box is 'owned'

From: GuidoZ <uberguidoz () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 17:48:08 -0700

1) reinstall OS
2) install firewall, AV, etc...
3) patch OS in 5 minute window available (as mentioned by Kelly Martin)
4) educate Mom on use of AV, anti-spyware, good web practices (don't open
attachments, click on pop-ups etc...)
5) monitor until eventually another virus finds its way in.
6) Lather/rinse/repeat.

Unfortunately this seems to be the current state of Windows. When it
comes to ease of use however, none of this is taken into
consideration. You sit someone down with a Windows XP CD and a blank
hand drive, most will be able to get it installed and working without
a whole lot of help or questions. However, sit them down at the same
PC with a Slackware or Debian CD, and I'll bet they will become lost
quite quickly. (I have been there myself.)

Security and easy of use never go hand in hand, unfortunately.

--
Peace. ~G

On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 14:47:39 -0700, Darren Kirby