Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Windows 98 box is 'owned'

From: Darren Kirby <bulliver () badcomputer no-ip com>
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2004 15:14:09 -0700

(Note to mods: I checked the mail headers and it appears I just sent this to
myself...I am sending again to the list. So if the first message did in fact
make it to the list please just remove this message, thanks, and sorry...)

Hello all,

Again, I just want to thank everyone who responded with such great
information/advice. However, with my Mom's very limited needs for using a
computer (literally: freecell, check mail 1x/day, browse web ~2x/week) I have
decided to install Linux on her computer (with her blessing of course...). In
fact, it is all of your great advice that helped me to decide to go this way.

With Windows 98 fast approaching its effective "end of life", my Mom would
have to buy Windows XP, and this would, as I understand it, require a
hardware upgrade as well, as her box isn't exactly cutting-edge. Couple this
with suggestions of a hardware firewall, a/v software, education etc, etc...
it just seems overkill for my Mom's needs.

I am going to install a kde desktop for her, including a passwordless
automatic login using KDM (physical security of her box is not important),
tweak a few settings so it looks familiar and everything is where she expects
it. This just seems the best way to go because, as mentioned, at least I
could help her if she had problems.

I don't want anyone to think however, that their advice was wasted, because of
the course of action I have decided on. I have been lurking on this list for
a while now...and I have great interest in computer security. Thanks to the
links you provided I can perhaps help the various relatives/friends etc that
invariably think I can fix their Windows box because I am a "computer guy".

Thanks again one and all,
-d
--
Part of the problem since 1976